25 Sep 2008
Business bull, buzzword bingo, biz speak and jargonese. Consultants and senior management love them. Copywriters hate them. Here are some overused phrases currently being banded about the boardroom (and a light-hearted look at what they really mean!)
1. Blue Sky thinking: You have our permission to come up with something really craaaaaazy. We will probably ignore you anyway.
2. Going forward: Let me tell you what you’re going to do next.
3. Low-hanging fruit: Tackle the easy stuff first. Procrastinate about the rest.
4. Joined up thinking: For once we are actually going to consider something thoroughly before making a decision.
5. Mission critical: Screw this up and your P45 is in the post.
6. Pro-active: Let’s retaliate first.
7. Touch base: Email, messenger or text someone. Or if the worst comes to the worst – actually speak to them.